Sunday, February 13, 2011

Order and Routines- Frustrations

I really need something to change here. How do you have "a house of order" and how do you stick to routines\ rhythms in your day with your children, especially if it isn't in your nature? I have been battling with this for so long and I'm just plain frustrated. I'm getting so frazzled by the end of the day and I just want to stop having to be constantly on Garrett to do what he needs to do in order to get ready for the day or finish the day. I need to build this foundation, get these kids and myself in better habits, so I can have smoother days. It really comes down to good-morning routines and  good-night routines.

I'm totally whining here. But I can't get everything done. Good things I need to be doing with my kids aren't getting done. I am not a routine\schedule person and our family before kids never was much either. I keep saying I"m going to try Plan XYZ and I just never stick with it long enough for it to actually become a habit and to work.

Here are some of my challenges I'm up against:

-My baby never gets enough sleep. I just know he doesn't. I can't ever seem to give him constant naps (plus he just has never been a good napper.) The most consisted we are getting at this point is he will take a nap around 2ish- these very often happen in the car while I drive Garrett to his classes and then sit in the car while Tristan sleep. Some of my challenge of having a consistent nap is the fact I have a school aged homeschooled kid and a young toddler. But even when we are home all week, it doesn't happen. No matter what, he is a tough napper.

-Everything seems to run late in our family and I can't seem to get ourselves set to an earlier schedule. We are getting up and ready later then we should, dinner is late, the kids get to bed late (average for the kids to be physically asleep is 9\9:30 but any meeting in the evening like church can often push it back way later! Garrett would easily stay up till 11 every night if he could get the chance.)

-Garrett is a horrible morning person and always has been. He is usually very grumpy. He usually wants to cuddle in the bed for a long time, he barely eats any breakfast (he is very, very picky with breakfast too and by the time we are finally ready to 'start our day' with school work he is 'starving.'), never wants to get himself dressed, etc.  I know it sounds like Garrett is probably so bad in the morning because he is sleep deprived. But, I have actually charted his sleep and he gets enough! He goes to bed late but will easily sleep in very late too and he usually gets all the recommended amount of needed sleep for a kid his age.)

-Garrett is a horrible dwaddler and classic procrastinator at bedtime and I usually end up yelling, threatening, and getting frustrated. I have to (for my sanity) get both kids ready for bed at the same time. The problem is, Garrett draws it out soooo long that Tristan is way over due for bed by the time we are done. It leaves Tristan having a hard time falling asleep and he isn't getting enough sleep.

The night time thing is such a problem that there are many good things I feel we ought to be doing that are not getting consistently done: we used to read chapter books before bed as a family, having a family clean up time to help 'put the house to sleep", and Garrett really does need heavy doses of cuddling at bedtime to fill his love cup, but I am usually so done and its usually so late, that by the time we can cuddle I say no or cut it way too short.

Our current routine for bed looks something like this:

  • -ideally having a clean up time but this isn't always happening. At some point Garrett has to sit on the toilet too. Its suppose to be after dinner but we keep forgetting.
  • -bath- I used to skip this all the time but now the baby is always so dirty they take one almost every day. The problem is it ends up way too long. They like to play in there and its my fault: I'm alway cleaning the kitchen so I let them take a long time in there. 
  • -get on diapers\pjs
  • -have a night time snack. This is the worse. This is where Garrett really dwaddles. I would love to skip this but he is adamant about it because he is such a horrible eater at dinner these days he is always hungry at bed time.
  • -Both kids go to the bathroom to brush teeth. Again, this is where I'm constantly 'on' Garrett because he is goofing off and dwaddling to take as long as possible. Tristan is yelling and screaming a fit about getting his teeth brushed.
  • -Then to my bed where I read a book to the kids together
  • -At this point Garrett is suppose to go to his room and quietly read books. Sometimes Brian will cuddle with him or read him books. I stay in my room with Tristan to get him to sleep (I always 'parent' him to sleep, which I am fine and comfortable with, except it can be hard for Tristan to relax after all that pre-bed tension.)
  • -Once Tristan is asleep I go downstairs to cuddle with Garrett and will usually read him another book (unless I"m super lucky and he already fell asleep.)  Garrett really does need that bedtime cuddling\connection time with me. And I'm happy to give it to him. But the bad part is he once again can be engaged when he already has been relaxed- its like he has one last ditch effort to put off going to sleep. He isn't always like that but lately (past few months) he has been back to the whole 'I'm scared of my room' problem which we seem to battle frequently.     


I really feel like the bedtime routine wouldn't be bad if Garrett would just stop fighting, dwaddling, and trying to delay the whole process. Part of the problem is me too- I have a hard time wanting to stop myself to start the whole process. The other problem is that there is not a real consistent time for bedtime to start. Its hard to have a start time when dinner isn't always the same time every day or dinner is at 7! Its hard to have a start time when I never even know when Brian will be home. So really, a lot of the problem is me. And maybe the solution really needs to start with me picking a time to switch into 'evening" mode even if my husband isn't home, and with me enforcing a "say good night to your friends" time, and "now its time to turn all electronics off for the day" time.

I'm just not good at this stuff. Its all very hard for me and my personality. And there are many things with my personality that just don't mix well with Garrett's personality. We class and make a big mess of things.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is so hard for you--I wish I could pass some of my OC organizing to you. I go over the top with scheduling and planning...I stress over the spontaneous things.

    I think you're on the right track with the idea of picking a time and sticking with it. I know it's hard because Brian isn't home at the same time (my dad was the same way), but it's either that or chaos every night.

    Don't they say it takes 27 days to set a habit? Not that I'm one to talk--ask me the last time I consistently read my scriptures...

    Don't beat yourself up about this--you are an amazing mom to both of those boys. We all have our weaknesses, especially in parenting! I think you're awesome for trying so hard to improve--I'm always tempted to just say, 'that's who I am, so that's how I'm going to do it.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my kids were younger I enjoyed watching Super Nanny. She had/has some great ideas.:) I also find the Love and Logic books by Jim Fay and Dr. Charles Fay helpful. (I'm sure I need to reread them again.) The joys of parenting.

    ReplyDelete